September 01, 2008

TURNING POINT

It was a beautiful afternoon. There was silence all round, especially with the lower traffic volume at this time of the day.

Adithya had just returned from his work. As he knocked at the door of his home, he felt a gentle breeze soothing him in. He smiled vividly at his mother and held her affectionately.

“You seem excited, anything special? She asked. “Your recent work was just telecast and I was watching it, as you knocked,” she continued. “There was a telecast in the morning news, but then I was busy with my cooking, Dear;” she apologized. “It looks really wonderful, darling. I am so proud I have such a talented son… “She gave him a cute hug appreciatively.

“You sensed right, Mama. Everyone at the studio applauded me for this latest report.” They said it has highlighted grievances of youth in the prominent slum in our city. Something which many wanted to attempt, but weren’t bold enough for…Even some seniors expressed envy and has warned me to be careful. The big shots involved are too high for layman, let even young journalists.

Actually, I never expected this would see light. I thought it would also get dumped as my most previous similar genuine works, under the influence of any Dick or Harry. Had I had enough resources I would rather opt for freelancing, he voiced himself loud.

“Neena, our editor, and Prakash, our videographer also got a round of applause. But now Neena is terribly frightened. In fact she’s afraid whether her father may restrain her from pursuing her career. He is so close with those corrupt fellows who rule the city, Mama. That’s simultaneously our strength and limitation;” narrated Adithya. As for Prakash, you know Mama; he had been excellent a companion all along.

“Don’t worry, Adithya. Whatever has to happen will happen? We are only artists in the drama enacted by God Almighty. As of now, you have just done your duty perfectly. Leave the result unto Him. Now, come and have lunch,” insisted his mother lovingly.

It has been a real turning point, Mama…” Adithya couldn’t hide his excitement.

As he sat for lunch, his mind was filled with his recent work and he explained to his mother: “A centrally funded programme was already functional in that slum, Mama. It was supposed to generate employment to the unskilled labourers at one member from every household. This effort to eradicate poverty should have been exercised there with more caution. If so, we would have succeeded in transforming them positively; but…as usual, politicians, contractors and bureaucracy has formed a tripartite nexus to ruin them. The biggest builders in the city are funding them for all vice and violence....

Will our region ever come out of this ??? Poor is getting poorer and the rich, richer…is this democracy, Mama?”

“I don’t have answers to your queries, Dear. I am not much read after all. Neither have I been outside these four walls. Your father was a strong man and a true Gandhian. My exposure is limited to what he had taught me. But, now, in his absence, when I see your works on the television, all I feel is that you are striving to express and execute what he couldn’t in his lifetime. Your media is quite powerful and your style is simple and digestible for layman, even me…You are so honest and straightforward, with real zeal and pathos for the downtrodden. I am so happy I am mother of such a bright son…” she served him affectionately and sat watching him have his food, admiringly…

The calm mood was abruptly broken by melodious ringtone music from his mobile phone. The display flashed. It was his favorite team-mate, Prakash. They have been working together for quite sometime and all their joint productions were simply excellent. He was the best photo-videographer and himself the best reporter. Anu used to give him hints on sensational aspects in town and she was an excellent editor at her desk. She was sharp, keen and well read a journalist as against many of her age.

“Yes, Prakash, break the news, what’s it man? I am just finishing lunch. Mama had seen the telecast and is full of appreciation, yaar. Thanks a lot; you have helped me a lot this time too. Shall I give the phone to Mama?” and he transferred in a jiffy.

“Hay Prakash, did you have lunch? Where are you? Why didn’t you come down?” Adithya’s mother showered him with questions. But he didn’t answer. “Please give the phone to Adithya,” he murmured restlessly.

“Hey, what’s the matter man?” This time Adithya was serious. This was a usual call after applause at office. Prakash’s parents died long ago and his elder brother doesn’t appreciate him working as a videographer. It was below dignity for him. His only source of inspiration was my mother, since we joined team. But this is not that usual call. Stupid of me to fire into the gun, regretted Adithya.

“Anu was taken home by her cousin. He came in soon after you left. They spoke in the lounge for few moments. I was here all the time. But, she didn’t even utter a word. She took a paper from the desk, wrote, met the Chief Editor and went off silently.” I thought she has applied for leave so just went to have a peep, but …” the words broke.

He took some moments to recoup himself. “Anu has resigned. I tried to call her, but her cell is switched off. I tried her landline number, but her father attended the call. That’s why I called to inform you. They may put her under house arrest or force her for that marriage proposal that was held pending against her will. Why don’t you try to save her? Don’t you truly love her? Or is it just fascination and admiration? Have you ever opened this up with her?”

Prakash was still talking over the phone. But Adithya was far away. He stood still and aghast as if he got a severe blow right on his cheek. His mother became perplexed. She came over, took the phone and enquired. Now, Prakash was slightly relieved. He repeated the developments.Mama hung off and sat down with her son.

Adithya took hours to compose himself. Mama never knew that he loved Anu. How would she react? Or had she ever sensed? She has been so silent after the call. That’s also unusual of her.

What would have happened to Anu? Why did she tend the resignation? Why her cell has been switched off? If ever Prakash succeeds in his effort, he would call me immediately. He has also been into a love marriage and he likes both us very much. Where would they have taken her? His tension mounted.

Just then Mama came with a cup of hot tea and sat with him on the couch. He stared blank at her. She affectionately passed her fingers over his hair and patted him lovingly. That was enough to raise his spirits. She silently gave him the tea and waited for him to open out.

“Mama, I think I love Anu.” He somehow managed to say. “It’s more than fascination. I had seriously thought about it many times. But we never discussed about it. Currently she has a proposal in abeyance. But she doesn’t seem to like it. She’s more like her mother. They dislike their father’s treacherous money-minting ways. But they are terribly isolated in their own house. He is so cruel and influential. Her mother is fragile and highly frightened of him.”

“You know Anu. What’s your opinion? Will you select her for a daughter-in-law?” He looked at his mother curiously in a begging manner, pleading silently. Praying “Please don’t say NO….”

His mother smiled at him.

“I love her and I always felt you would make an excellent match. But, I am scared of her background. They are people who would go to any extreme to accomplish their will and wish. Have you ever discussed with your elder brother? Better we seek Anand’s opinion.” She sighed a deep breath.

“No need Mama.” I had already indirectly discussed with Anand Bhai. He vehemently opposed me. So there is no use discussing with him any more. Even both my brothers-in-law opposed me then. They prefer that I tie my wedlock with Anand’s sister-in-law. So that would save him some expense too! They said she’s having some Chowa dosham and since we don’t believe in astrology and such, they are expecting our green signal. Had she been a little educated, I wouldn’t have bothered; but, now, I have genuinely realized that I desire to be with Anu. You remember all the terrific discussions when Anand was at home last time for his vacation? If not for their tongue lashing, I would have broken this desire to Anu, long back. Now that she‘s in danger, I am bothered only about your suggestion. I seek your permission, Mama. Please agree, he was right at her feet.

“You do as you please. It’s your life after all. There may be strong opposition from all sides. Even Anand may isolate you. But, if Anu wishes to be with you, you are blessed, children. Seek her concurrence first.” Adithya never expected this to proceed so smooth. So he soon went off to meet Prakash. He briefly outlined the response and the expected reactions. They prepared a detailed plan of action. As an initial step they decided to be on duty at the Kendra and execute their plan through their sincere friends.

By God’s grace everyone supported him as per the chalked out plan and matters were in smooth motion. He got Anu’s concurrence, through intermediaries. It was a day that Adithya truly floated without an airplane. He felt he resembled Hanuman! Flying high above carrying his love, crashing all their opponents, he was wild in his imagination…


All arrangements were made for a register marriage as soon as Anu was permitted out of home without body guards to watch her. Finally, she managed to skip and reached Adithya. Spontaneously, the plan was executed to its climax.

Adithya walked home holding Anu in all its glory. He felt he had just won the greatest cricket match series ever in his life. As he knocked at the door, his elder brother-in-law gave him a real slap.

“You are planning for a family homicide? You selfish brute… How dare you make such a move in spite of all our warnings? Do you think this queens’ father would let you live here in peace? Let alone spare us? There’s no place for you here anymore. Walk out with your possessions before they pounce upon you here…

“I just want to kneel before my mother, pleaded Adithya. She’s the family head. Let her announce her decision. If she wants me to move out, I shall…” But his mother was not anywhere in sight. Adithya’s efforts to push in and search his mother were futile. He noted his sister busy making a phone call amidst all this chaos.

All his neighbours gathered around and his brother-in-law started his tongue lashing again. He exaggerated the virtues of Anu’s family and the terror they create in the city. Anu herself was totally ashamed that she was totally shattered by the drama enacted by him. Neighbours who were staunch supporters of Adithya were also taken aback by these revelations and got confused.

Just then, a bike rode in at full speed, took a terrible brake and a guy wearing a helmet sliced off Anu’s head with a long glazing sword…

It was so quick that she didn’t even utter a sound. The body fell off with a thud.

Some of the bystanders yelled and ran for their lives as the bike rode past them. Blood was dripping from the sword all along the way.

The bystanders were shocked. They dispersed silently.

Brother-in-law stood as if he was the Man of this match. His sister came, peeped and withdrew. She couldn’t stand the sight whatsoever.

By the time Adithya realized what had being going on, curtains were pulled down. Everything was over. Police was right on the spot and he got arrested. He didn’t utter a word. Finally, after days, he was set free. Barring few genuine friends, none supported him.

He wandered along, a lost man. He thought aloud: What happened to my mother? I expected so much of support from her. Why Anand didn’t come down to get me relieved? Whom was my sister calling amidst all the anarchy?

Memories of life progressively flew past?

He recollected how he helped Anand build a new home, how he helped his mother earn from the few pennies he had sent them and married off their sisters, how he denounced his share of land to see his younger sister married off, all this in spite of Anand being an Engineer abroad, that too for over 15years!!! How I toiled for others and sacrificed at every stage without expecting any recognition what so ever. Why did they betray me like this? What harm did Anu do to them? Had they stood by me, would this have happened?

He remembered how he strongly opposed Anand’s wish to partition their ancestral home, sell and relocate on his last visit. Anand was leading the group with his sisters and they wanted the house to be partitioned. None wanted to take Mama with them. Mama seemed to know it already. So she opposed the very idea. But, the moment she revealed that “You have all been given your shares and what remains is mine to be given to my younger son, who has done so much for the family,” the discussion became real hot. Mama had finally succeeded.

But, now, with tears rolling down his eyes, Adithya realized that all they wanted was soil, bricks and money. He felt immense pain within him. His heart muscles felt like in a strike. So were his calf muscles!

How he cared for his nephews and niece, how he cared for his sister-in-law, how he managed the house, though young and a bright student himself…He realized that all his sacrifice were in vain.

He stayed with Prakash for a day. He reported at office and turned in his resignation. There, people watched him like a clown or a rare species from a third world!!!

Slowly he went to his fathers close friend, someone whom he revered so much. He sat at his doorstep, a totally lost state. Uncle sat near him, indefinitely…Finally, Adithya said: “Right now, I am seized with a spirit of dispassion and wish to denounce this materialistic world. I don’t want to be in haste. I need solace and a lot of time to recoup myself to normalcy. Please request my Mamma to bear with me till then. I entrust her to you…”

Before Uncle could reply, he got off his feet and walked off at a slow and lethargic pace…


To be continued…