September 01, 2008

LASTING IMPACT

“Good morning Miss Babitha; How are you?” asked Anu.

She had come to the textile shop to get the uniforms ordered for her kids. At school, kindergarten classes will re-open after the summer vacation next week.

“I am fine, thank you.
Glad to meet you Baby, how was your vacation?” asked Ms. Babitha.

But, Baby, Anu’s elder daughter didn’t respond.

Babitha was her class teacher last year. She was a noble teacher who cared for her students very much. So she continued persuading her former student to make her speak. Anu also coerced her daughter. Still there was no response.

The shop-keeper was extremely busy searching for the order packets as per token. Though there were only few customers, she had a tough time handling the task alone. Picking up pinafores, shirts, T-shirts, sports dress, swim suits, socks, sandals, shoes, dining mats, towels, ties, lunch kits, school bags, pencil box, snack box and water bottles- all as per instructions from school for every class- was indeed a tedious task. This is truly a different kind of school, so much of discipline and uniformity; thought Anu to herself.

Anu now signaled to Babitha and they moved to an isolated corner. Kids had become relaxed and they had started running all round the place. As they engaged themselves, Anu said, “I was waiting to meet you personally. Baby has had a difficult period in between. Actually your Principal Ms. Annie hinted that Baby was totally isolated during games, socially aloof at intervals and occasionally wandering off during the music sessions. As she was academically excellent, she seldom scolded her either.”

“What happened? Was it pedophilic?” enquired Babitha with utmost pain in her eyes. “Yes, now when you say, I recollect; Baby was one of our best students from the beginning. She does all activities well. She was generally shy and extremely sensitive by nature. I thought may be your absence was an aggravating pain for her. So I never interrogated, purposefully refraining so as not to add to her sorrow. There are so many of them in a class. I failed to observe and care better. I am so sorry…”

“I had joined duty as Baby got accustomed in the class there. Life for a Professional Manager in a remote area as a working mother is real hard. Moreover, I too thought it was separation anxiety. I didn’t want to quit my job just because of that… Initially, I used to feel irritated by her misbehaviour and eating disorders. I never imagined otherwise. Even otherwise she never adjusted with her baby sitters also. So I thought it was only her initial feeling of insecurity and would wane off gradually. You had not communicated any observations during our vis-à-vis meetings either.” replied Anu.

“Only when Ms.Annie gave a suggestion, did I delve deep. I had to spend a lot of time to get it extracted from her. It was extremely painful an effort.” tears rolled into Anu’s eyes and she fought hard to conceal it. “I have put her under a therapist thereafter and she has improved tremendously. Still she may take some more time,” continued Anu.

“Many of my friends had already been through this trauma. I think it happens for every one-third, so I warned my daughter earlier itself,” replied Babitha proudly.

“I too was planning to do the same with my kids, but, I was waiting for her to grow a bit. She was only three…” said Anu utmost hurt.

“Come on, don’t worry. She will be alright soon. We should pin down these crooked fellows, by law. But, our conservative society won’t allow that. Neither will our parents permit us to move publicly to pin down such culprits. At school, we shall take special care of her. We have to voice this in our assembly to shield other kids soon. I shall discuss with Ms.Annie. Take care. My prayers are with you,” motivated Babitha in a consoling manner.

They summoned the kids and got the ordered packets. Baby now waved bye and was somewhat her usual active self. Her teacher gave her a hug and tried to give a kiss, from which the child pulled her self back and stood stiff.

As Anu was driving her kid’s home, her thoughts flew back into her own childhood. This is a vicious circle she thought. She heaved a long sigh and switched on the stereo.

The old popular verse came in inspiringly:
“Let the dead past, Bury it dead;
Live, live in the liv’g present
Heart within and God o’er head…
Within seconds, she regained her composure and drove off….